Recipe by Aüa (@lifewithaua)
Need a hearty meal that is both healthy and filling? Aüa's Cajun-style tofu with red beans and brown rice is the answer. Scoop some and pour over some brown rice (like what we did here), or eat it alone straight from a bowl. Think chili-con-carne without the carne.
- 1 can Molinera Natural Red Kidney Beans
- 450 grams firm tofu, drained and crumbled
- 1 tablespoon Molinera Pure Olive Oil
- 1 small white onion, diced
- 1 medium green bell pepper, deseeded and diced
- 1/2 cup celery stalks, minced
- 1/2 cup finely sliced spring onions, plus 1 teaspoon for garnish
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped, plus 1 teaspoon for garnish
- 1-2 tablespoon Cholula or your favorite hot sauce (add more if you like it spicy)
- 1 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper powder
- 1 large bay leaf
- 1 cup Capri vegetable broth (to make: mix 2 tbsp broth powder with 1L of water)
- 3/4 cup Molinera Passata
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- Drain the kidney beans, rinse well and set aside.
- Drain the tofu, pat dry with paper towel and crumble or dice up into small cubes. Set aside.
- In a large heavy-bottom pot, heat up some olive oil over medium heat. Toss in the diced onion, diced bell pepper, minced celery, and sliced spring onions. Cook until vegetables are soft and slightly browned, then add in garlic.
- When all the vegetables are soft, add in the parsley, hot sauce, paprika, cayenne, and bay leaf. Stir well then season with salt and pepper to taste. Cook for one minute to bring out the aromas.
- Add in the tofu, kidney beans, passata and Capri vegetable broth powder/water mix. Bring to a boil then add in the tomato paste and sugar. Mix well and cover to simmer for about 5-15 minutes or until the liquid has reduced.
- After reduction, let the stew simmer uncovered for another 5-10 minutes or until the stew is thick. Make sure to stir occasionally and season a bit more with salt and pepper if you need. (Option: You can also add 1/2 tsp liquid smoke for an extra flavor dimension*)
- Serve beans with the cooked brown rice and other fixings.
- brown rice, cooked according to instructions
- Sliced fresh avocado
- Grilled sweet corn
- VEGAN OPTION: Plain coconut yogurt or vegan sour cream
- NON-VEGAN OPTION: Greek yoghurt or plain sour cream
CHALLENGE: Make your own vegan coconut sour cream
- Chill a can of coconut cream in the fridge overnight.
- Open and scoop out, mix with 1tbsp Molinera Apple Cider Vinegar,
- Add salt and pepper to taste